Sunday, April 29, 2012

A tale of two knives...



I love Gerber knives. This is your basic pocket knife. It has some great little bits about it. I got this to replace the Applegate-Fairbairn Mini Covert serrated knife that I had to unfortunately leave in Afghanistan due to a lack of prior planning on my part. It was the best pocket knife I have ever owned, from its balance; to sharpness and perfect length it was just an amazing knife. I’m sure some Navy Customs agent is loving that knife right now. I make it a habit to not buy things twice if I sell them, lose them or break them, and this is one of the few items that may become an exception to the policy. This is of course, once I break or lose the Evo Jr. This is a link for the Mini-Covert. The two reasons you should by this knife above any other pocket knife…..it weighs less than two ounces and is coated with titanium nitride for added corrosion resistance. Gerber Evo Jr.: +1, Mother Nature: 0

Some Stats:
· Blade Length: 2.75"
· Closed Length: 3.6"
· Overall Length: 6.35"
· Weight: 1.80 oz.
· Handle: Aluminum

 

Gerber LMF II Infantry - Coyote Brown

 

 

I love everything about this knife. This knife was built as a survival knife and you can certainly tell. You could probably club a bear to death with this thing. When you hold it you know you have a man’s knife in your hand. What’s more is that it actually has a small area that could be used as a hammer in a crunch. It has holes built in to it so that you can lash it to a pole and use it as a spear! A freaking spear!!! As far as the fun and cool guy factor goes, that is definitely up there. On the useful side of the house, you can use it to spear fish…..sharks. Additionally, it was designed to pierce the fuselage of plane, so if you ever find yourself face to face with a rhino, well….run. If you try to take down a rhino with a knife you are stupid…..DON’T! Three of the five species of Rhinos are listed as critically endangered anyway, and it’s likely you have no idea which is which, so leave them alone. (Side note: I had no idea either I had to Wikipedia it.)

Back to the knife, it’s insulated, so even if you accidentally hack into a live wire you shouldn’t give yourself a shock. Though this is obviously not a recommended practice, it’s nice to know you are covered even if you have a moment of sheer stupidity. You can use this knife to sever small branches and lash together a quick shelter. It is even fire resistant. They don’t mention it in their details, but the butt of the knife can easily punch through glass. Finally, it’s a knife, so it does anything any other standard knife will do, it cuts stuff, just really, really thick stuff.

Finally some details about the sheath. You can attach it to your leg, your belt, your MOLLE gear with integrated MOLLE straps, or you can 550 cord it to your gear. The picture doesn't do it justice, however, the leg straps have a really sticky, rubbery cord sewn in to them that helps keep the knife stationary when attached to your leg. The only way the knife will move when it is attached this way, is if you have it on loose, or your pants actually move, this stuff really sticks. Worried about keeping this beast sharp as you hack through airplanes and floss alligator’s teeth? Don’t, it has an integrated sharpener, so your blade will always be as sharp as your wits, and hopefully, just a bit sharper.

Some stats on this beast of a knife:
· Overall Length: 10.59"
· Blade Length: 4.84"
· Weight: 24.28 oz. (w/ Sheath)
· Weight: 11.67 oz. (w/o Sheath)
· Blade Style: Drop Point
· Blade Material: 420HC Stainless
· Blade Type: Serrated
· Handle Material Glass-filled nylon with TPV overmold
· Sheath Material: Ballistic nylon with fire retardant coating
· Lashing holes for use as spear
· Low-profile sheath with built-in sharpener
· 2 Leg Straps
· Sheath
· MOLLE Compatible
 

Gerber Wish List
This is my Gerber wish list. Basically, I just want to beat the stuffing out of all of these items and see if they will hold up to the abuse. I’m very tough on my equipment, but I think that plays in to the theme of this blog anyway. When everything has fallen apart and the world as we know it no longer exists, will these items be something you can actually stake your life or homestead on. Of course, I’m in the military and have limited resources (read: money) so either Gerber is going to have to give me these (never going to happen) or the write ups for these items will take years to complete. I will purchase things on this list as I break or wear out the gear I already have.

Things I will probably never be able to afford (or I don’t foresee breaking the items I already have , thus they do not need replaced):


De Facto Knife
Gerber Crucial Multi-tool
DMF-Modified Clip Point(or the Tanto)
Efect Military Maintenance Tool
Cable Dawg Tool
Brush Thinner

Things I should eventually get:

Back Paxe
Splitting Axe
Machete Pro
Epic Drop Point
Folding Pruners
E-Z Skinner
Profile Fixed – Gut Hook
Profile Fixed – Drop Point
Artifact
Shard

No comments:

Post a Comment